Saturday, June 6, 2009

oysters, baseball and way too much beer.

Well, I am lucky enough to have an amazing boss, who happens to be a Jays fan. He took the whole crew of us out to the Jays-Royals game last night. (Jays won, 6-3)

I do like baseball. It's one of the only games that I can mostly understand, for one thing. I do get distracted easily, however, and I often have to ask the person beside me what the heck just happened. The trouble with watching a live game, is that stuff happens so quietly, and then all of a sudden people are going crazy.

There are lots of things that distract me. I'm addicted to people watching, for one thing. Also, by the time we got to the game, i had already had way too many beer. My best friend Bonnie took us to Rodney's Oyster Bar on King Street in Toronto. Now... for those of you who haven't yet had the chance to have oysters, let me tell you that they are not as slimy and gooey as you think they'd be. Most people i've heard tell you to just swallow them down, which is not the right technique at all. You've got to bite them, hold them in your mouth for a bit. It's not as gross as you'd think. We tried some east coast, Atlantic Ocean, and some west coast, Pacific Ocean ones. The clear winners were the East Coast ones. The West Coast had a more 'oceany' taste to them, they were smaller, and... well, just not as nice. I had a "dead guy" beer with them, which, apparently, is stored in the same casks that they age scotch in. Not together, separately, just FYI. It definitely gives the beer a 'scotchy' taste, which is really nice.

There was also an adventure, in which my friends Bonnie and Tim tried to get a jersey signed by one of the Jays, and where they ended up in places no fan should ever get to. But that's a story for another day. When i get details, you'll find out what happened.

We also had a rickshaw ride from a Irish guy, looked for Tim's camera which he had lost months before, at the Toronto Westin Harbourfront (Kodak Easyshare, have you seen it?) and shared a beer with a guy named Jay in the parking lot. He took a short cut, and made it back to his truck before they did. It was a strange night.

Best news of all, Scotty got us all home safe. After a couple of baby burgers and fries with salt and vinegar.

Anyway. Didn't get home till almost 3 am, which is not really what I do. I'm an 'in bed by 10' kind of girl, But hey, what's life for, if it's not living.

2 comments:

Clover said...

Sounds like a fun time! I'm not really a baseball fan, but I would have enjoyed the oyster-tasting. Once we had some delicious fresh oysters from the Pacific ocean. We bought them at the beach on the Oregon coast. I hope we can find them again sometime. They were large, but I don't know the name of the variety.

Betty (Beth) said...

Hi there! :-)

I linked over from Murphblog and I'm excited to read your thoughts, especially about baseball!

Although as a Royals fan and a resident of KC, I was sad to see them lose that night, but its nice to know that you had a nice time! :-)

I'm generally a fan of the Jays, just not when they are playing my Royals. ;-)

Hope to read more of your blogs! Hooray!